Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review of Mahdi Taye's post:The Catcher in the Rye: Author's Intrusion

Mahdi's post, here,  is a very strong post about catcher in the rye. This post is strong because it goes deep into the character Holden Caulfield's life and also a metaphor that sort of represents how he doesn't fit in. First of all, I've read this book and I agree that Holden feels that he doesn't fit in anywhere and that his argument with Ackley is represented by the ducks in the lake. I agree that this is an intrusion made by the author to bring up the message. Also, this makes me think about how sometimes people can feel misunderstood and that they aren't respected as they should be. This is a real life issue that I think is made really clear in the book.


I agree with what Mahdi said about how the ducks in the lake are a reminder of the time when Holden was having an argument with his roommate so he went to his friend, and he didn't even fit in there. Throughout the entire book there was a lot about how Holden felt as though he didn't fit in and the author brought it up several times throughout the story, including when the thing with the ducks in the lake and Holde arguing with the taxi driver came up. It made it a really powerful theme throughout the book because of the way the author kept bringing it up, definitely an author's intrusion.



The other thing that came up when I read this blog post is the idea that some people feel as if they aren't appreciated and respected like they feel they should be. Holden wrote a paper for his roommate, Stradlater, and to Holden, (and the reader) it was a very good paper. Stradlater didn't appreciate the work at all. He thought it was bad work and didn't even respect the fact that Holden had done it for him. He felt that he wasn't appreciated and I think that this feeling continues throughout the book. It is also a feeling that is true in real life. I know I've felt that my work wasn't appreciated at times and Im sure almost everyone has.


I think that this is a really great post because it is a good analysis of an author's intrusion, but also any post that gets someone thinking about the world like I did is a good post. Mahdi wrote his ideas and supported them with strong examples. He proved his point and made the reader think about it. I really like this post and it's a great academic post overall.


FIVE STARS!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment